Monday, June 30, 2008

I am doing this so we can all curl up in bed together!

So it looks like I am going to write a book!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I made a new friend this past week and without going into a great amount of detail of all the things that made her smart and cool I will just say she was tough to impress. We chatted a lot about marketing and WOM and out of nowhere she said “Saul, you should write a book, because that would really impress other women all over the world. Your life will become like an AXE body spray commercial and you will never want for anything”

Truth be told I am not 100% sure if that is what she actually said or if that is what I think she said because as soon as she said “Saul, you should write a book” my brain kicked into idea mode and started wondering if I had anything in me that could make an interesting read.

So now fast forward two hours.

I already had a list of things I could write about--Sneakers, Comic Books, 80's Hip Hop, WOM Marketing, Personal Branding and Personality Marketing. I realized that those topics have been done already and done well, so I have decided to do a book on “Saul Marketing” which is kind of a hybrid of all of those things…and I chose the word hybrid instead of combination because people think hybrid is “green” and everyone loves green these days.

So what makes me qualified to write this book?

Firstly, I am The Smartest Man in the World, and secondly I have been living and breathing non-traditional marketing for almost two decades, and unlike academics who write just books, I am a guy who has been doing these things and has seen some “Stuff”.

The working title of the book is going to be “Show Don’t Tell/Tell Don’t Show” and it will be a flip book.

No not the kind that you flip the corner to see an animation, but rather you read half of the book and flip it over to read the other half.

The “Show Don’t Tell” side will focus on creating customer experiences through real world touches and WOM activities.....oh ya and this side of the book will be entirely illustrated, graphic novel style!

The “Tell Don’t Show” side will be a good old fashioned written book covering some more traditional marketing ideas that can use a little innovation, like how to re-invent what you send in DM, how to stand out and how to leave an impression at every networking event you go to and will also go into depth on how to build a brand and generate awareness though in real and online worlds...heck and while I am at it I will probably touch on everything I know about PR and how to get people to love you by being remarkable!

So if you are still with me I guess I am announcing that I am starting to write a book. I don’t have a “book deal” so I am really writing this on my own and if it is interesting I will show it around and get it out there but I figure I would let you all know so you can keep asking me where it is so I don’t lose perspective of my ultimate goal….to impress Lindy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to read it! :)

Adam Darowski said...

Aaaaaaawesome. Can't wait! Just by carrying this book, I'll be the sexiest girl in the room.

Anonymous said...

just let me know when I can buy it.

Apture

 
Powered by Olark