Monday, April 19, 2010

Do you ever wish brands would say what you are already thinking?

Last week the shoe company Puma announced that they have re-thunk the traditional shoe box and will begin to sell their shoes in what they are calling "The Clever Little Bag". Now my love of all things Nike is well known but equaled is my passion for Marketing and Innovation so my ears perked up and I needed to know more.


Puma estimates that this switch will result in a reduction of water, energy and diesel consumption on the manufacturing level by more than 60% per year. Specifically speaking, 8,500 tons less paper will be consumed, 20 million Megajoules of electricity saved, 1 million liters less of fuel oil used and 1 million liters of water saved.

This is amazing, important, and Puma should be congratulated on the initiative because they are taking an important first step in changing their industry.

I just wish they also mentioned that they also hoped that after you took out the shoes you would use the bag as a lunch bag or small tote and continue to spread the Puma message because that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the design.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's interesting - I was at Aldo on the weekend and saw that instead of putting their shoeboxes in bags, they've added handles to the boxes themselves. Kind of awkward to carry around, but a step in the right direction.

I know as a girl I wouldn't want to just toss new expensive heels in a plastic bag without any cushioning or tissue paper- but for sneakers I guess it's alright! And I'd rather save the environment than have protected shoes.

Erin

Apture

 
Powered by Olark