Monday, September 03, 2007

I realized this weekend that I love Oral........

I love Oral. It doesn't matter if it is quick or long, sloppy or very polished, involve lots of people or just a couple people bobbing back and forth.

Of course I am talking about books that are written in the "Oral History" format.......what did you think I was referring too?

Part of my weekend was spent setting up my home office and putting away/unpacking my 31 boxes of books. A lot of these have been in storage for a few years so I was pretty jazzed to be re-united with them. The first book that I cracked open was Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, as Told By Its Stars, Writers and Guests This is such a fascinating read and I highly recommend any one who is even mildly interested in the subject matter to grab it (it is a bargain book at amazon right now).

A newer book that I just heard about this weekend (thanks to the Sound of Young American Podcast) is Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies by Brian Coleman. This book pretty much tracks all the cd's I was listening to in High School (I am very old) and breaks down the stories of the music....not all the other stuff......just the music as told by the people who made it.

I have to admit that my interest is piqued and I will be picking this up soon.

Hope everyone had a great long weekend and I will type at you soon

-saul

No comments:

Apture

 
Powered by Olark