Sunday, July 22, 2007

When you eat your Smarties........

I had read about the new Smarties promotion a few days/weeks ago (I can't remember) and at that time I thought it was a cool way to get people involved in your brand. For those who may have missed it, Smarties are letting people re-design the Smarties packaging and whatever design is selected will become the new look of the delicious candy.

I hadn't given much thought to the promotion since while it is cool, it isn't exactly new because Pepsi and Mountain Dew have both done the same idea in the last year (you should check out the Mountain Dew designs...They Rock) .....so what happened that made me start thinking about this now?

Well I needed gas and a lottery ticket.

In the gas station the all white box caught my eye....why you ask?

Did you ask?

Well on the candy aisle there is a sea of colour. Candy packaging for the most part is very good and attractive but the start white box of the Smarties stood out like a crack whore at a high school reunion (for the record I am not really sure what that means but it made me laugh so I used it) and I standing out from a crowd is pretty much all you can ask for when you have a mass consumer product like candy.

Going in a different direction then your competition is a risk worth taking.....specially when you can stand out from the pack by doing something so small.

Take a look and you will see what I mean.




...and in case you ever wondered how Smarties are made.......




...now you know


saul

No comments:

Apture

 
Powered by Olark